[Interest] Qt for Android - The New Selection Handles Are Breaking Apps

coroberti . coroberti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 19:10:46 CEST 2017

Hi,
Qt port for Android was developed by the great and efforts of Bogdan, Eskil
and many others
where I mem it was Qt-5.2 and 5.3 where it has started to be usable and
Qt-apps were developed.

It was steadily improving by Qt-5.4, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 with many new
features, options and native elements added.

Unfortunately, my widget apps have been broken by the good intentions
feature:

Selection Handles - which appeared first in Qt-5.8, and it is still broken
in the LTS intended Qt-5.9.

Unlike most other features, it comes not on demand, but as a part of any
text area,
and breaks the existing Qt-apps.

Needless to say that expectation of any developer could be an option to
exclude such an intrusive feature.
However, this is not the case - there's no any API to get rid from it.

Android Text Editing Widgets are totally broken:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-62426

and Selection Handles with QML have many issues opened with many
workarounds proposed, like:
https://appbus.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/text-selection-handles-qt-5-8/

and issues:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-58700
and some more.

Rock&Roll is dead, but we and QWidgets are not, not yet.

Android apps are coming to Chromebook Desktop and look there superior when
based on QWidgets.

With other people joining me as seen in the tickets above,
I'd like to ask the maintainers to consider giving priority to:

1. Option to exclude Selection Handles from the appearance;
2. Fixing the issues with Selection Handles;
3. Optional, making an option to customize their appearance.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Robert