[Interest] represent QHostAddress as locale dependent string

Manner Róbert rmanni at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 09:42:12 CEST 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
wrote:

> On quarta-feira, 20 de setembro de 2017 05:16:51 PDT Manner Róbert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there a way convert an ip address locale dependent as string? I mean,
> > similarly as QLocale().toString() does for numbers or dates: for eg
> arabic
> > locale it gives back arabic "hieroglyphs".
> >
> > I have tried QHostAddress::toString(), but it still returns european
> > numbers for eg arabic.
>
> And will continue to do so, just as the socket classes and QUrl will never
> understand require Latin script digits.
>
> IP addresses are not localiseable.

I understand your point, and most probably there are bigger problems in the
world than this... I just wish if I knew if this is really a problem for
arabic users, never using myself apps other than english.
I would suspect arabic users got used to that numbers look sometimes arabic
sometimes not, similarly like us hungarians got used to the partial
translations half the app remaining in english, or even worse.

Still, it could be a useful feature to add such a helper function somewhere
in Qt: even if ip addresses are not localisable, numbers are. And ip
addresses are multiple numbers. If you would have such, perhaps more
applications would represent them correctly.