[Interest] strip: Customise Qt intaller, remove *.qt.io

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 00:40:40 CEST 2017

On 29 September 2017 at 10:57, Jake Petroules <Jake.Petroules at qt.io> wrote:
>> Kai,
>> Rather than a new mirror it might be sufficient to just alter the automatic selection to use California for New Zealand clients (I'm unsure how it works/how feasible that is)?
>
> We use MaxMind GeoIP commercial database for IP address geolocation, and it selects the best mirror based on that. Not sure of the particulars beyond that or how easy/possible it is to "override" things like that.
>
> It's not always a very reliable system in general, since I for example get a mirror on the US East Coast despite Berkeley being a 20-minute drive from me, because my IP has the wrong location in that DB.
>
> However, if we know that NZ is only physically connected to Australia and California then it might indeed make sense to hardcode the Berkeley mirror for NZ users.

Here are the 2 sets of cables involved b/w NZ, US and Japan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%E2%80%93Japan_Cable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_Cable

Maybe we should ask the NSA to remove their MitM boxes... ;)

I will try to see if overriding the mirror helps.

Right now, the MaintenaceTool is downloading at less than 10KiB/s!?!
and sometimes get stalled...
Then i did a google speed test in parallel of the MaintenaceTool and I
got 5 MiB/s (mega-bytes) both way to/from Google's Auckland servers.
So my end point (Auckland office) is not the bottle-neck.

A speed test with
- DigitalOcean San Franciso gives me 3.59 Mbps (mega-bits)
- DigitalOcean New York: 4.56 Mbps
- DigitalOcean Singapour: 5.88 Mbps
- Australia: 18.66 Mbps
- Taiwan: .. stuck...
- Japan: .. stuck... oh wait! na, stuck again
- NZ DSL: 61.08 Mbps
- 4 Mbps to London, Netherland

These bits-per-second figure are not accurate, but helps painting the
picture I think.

It might be a good idea to contact the guys who mirrors Linux distro
and co in new Zeland (ftp://ucmirror.canterbury.ac.nz comes to my
mind)

Chris