[Interest] strip: Customise Qt intaller, remove *.qt.io

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 01:44:02 CEST 2017

On 29 September 2017 at 06:01, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 September 2017 at 22:34, Artem Sidyakin <artem.sidyakin at qt.io> wrote:
>>> I would like to disable some/most “*.qt.io" resources
>>
>> You can uncheck “unwanted” repositories in settings, and then installer will fetch only the stuff you need.
>>
>> For example, that’s how you get Qt Creator only:
>>
>> 1) https://i.imgur.com/EC9c6S5.png
>> 2) https://i.imgur.com/lteXbdm.png
>
> Thanks for sharing, appreciated.
>
> Still to get there i have to go first through "Preparing meta
> information download..." which takes a couple of minutes, I don't know
> why, but network speed sounds like a plausible cause.
>
> Chris

I just did a quick test on a PC without Qt installed. I'm in
Australia, and my current default mirror is ftp.jaist.ac.jp

During the "Preparing meta information download..." phase, Resource
Monitor told me that the data is crawling in at 10 Bytes per second
(yes, bytes), and it took a few minutes to get the meta info. However,
once I get past that stage, the actual Qt Creator files come in at
~300 KiB per second. Resource Monitor reports that both sets of
downloads came from the same mirror, so it's not just a connection
issue.

I wonder what's the reason for this huge discrepancy? Is it because
the meta information comes in as lots of tiny files?

Regards,
Sze-Howe