[Interest] How do I get the most robust version of 5.10

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Apr 12 19:46:08 CEST 2018

On Thursday, 12 April 2018 10:34:18 PDT william.crocker at analog.com wrote:
> >> So, are you saying that the 5.10 branch has been abandoned.
> >
> > No, it's been *closed*. There's a difference.
>
> If it is closed then I assume issues will not be fixed.
> I call that abandoned.

A closed branch is one we're not applying fixes to. We're applying fixes to
next releases, though.

> >> If so, I do not think the web site should offer it as a download
> >> candidate.
> >
> > Huh, why? What's the rationale for this?
>
> For me I saw it in a distinguished position (tip of the next-to-last branch)
> and yet it had known issues which were not fixed nor would, apparently,
> ever be fixed.

Those issues will be fixed in the next release. That just happens to be
5.11.0.

> >> I saw that 5.11 was on the tip and, therefore, assumed that
> >> the latest 5.10 was good and stable.
> >
> > It is.
>
> If I may raise my voice for a moment...
>
> No. It (5.10.1) is NOT good.
>
> It immediately failed one of my regression tests.
> You should have known there was an issue because I here it has been fixed in
> 5.11

Of course there are problems. Do you want us to delete every old release
because we've fixed bugs? We already have fixes for bugs post 5.9.5, which was
released today. Should we delete it too?

Bugs will be fixed in the next release.

> Fortunately I did not spend too much time blaming my code.
> I submitted a bug report and was offered 3 patches which fixed the problem.
>
> I think leaving that prominent, dangling version with known
> issues is irresponsible.

Ok, we'll delete all releases. Please build only from Git, from the dev
branch. It's the only one that has all fixes.