[Interest] Use Qt release DLLs while debugging application

Rainer Wiesenfarth rainer_wiesenfarth at trimble.com
Wed Apr 25 07:35:00 CEST 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:34 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com
> wrote:

> On Monday, 23 April 2018 22:34:20 PDT Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > This must be an FAQ, but can I use the Qt release mode DLLs while
> > running my application compiled for debug? (In Visual Studio 2015, Qt
> 5.8).
> >
> ​[...]
>

> You can't do that because of Microsoft (see Gunnar's reply).
> ​[...]

​This is only half the truth:

*You can, if* you are interested in the debug code of your application
only, but not in the one of Qt and the C runtime.

If you use the release version of Qt, you have to make sure that you link
with the same runtime, i.e. you use /MD (Mulit-threaded DLL) for your debug
build instead of /MDd (Multi-threaded Debug DLL).

​Note: You have to make sure that any other library you link against is
using the same C runtime​
Note: I have no idea how to configure this using QMake (we use hand-crafted
.vcxproj and .props)

​Cheers, Rainer​

--
Software Engineer | Trimble Imaging Division
Rotebühlstraße 81 | 70178 Stuttgart | Germany

Trimble Germany GmbH, Am Prime Parc 11, 65479 Raunheim
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Darmstadt unter HRB 83893,
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Frank Heimberg, Jürgen Kesper