[Interest] QAudioDecoder on Mac : workaround to get it to work via GStreamer

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Thu Aug 2 01:42:17 CEST 2018

On 31/07/18 06:52, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discovered (with a suitable amount of dismay) that QAudioDecoder still
 doesn't work on Mac, and only a single person seems to have noticed this
 before
 (http://interest.qt-project.narkive.com/JTiX8LBR/qaudiodecoder-defaultserviceprovider-requestservice-no-service-found-for-org-qt-project-qt).

I wrote custom audio decoding for my application a few years back. I
used the extended audio file services on Mac, which wasn't very
difficult.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/extended_audio_file_services

I also wrote a version for Windows using the Media Foundation APIs,
which was harder. I seem to recall some limitation with QAudioDecoder
that made it easier to write a custom decoder, but I can't remember now.

We have our own device management and audio streaming code for both
platforms dating back years, although we would probably use QtMultimedia
if we were starting from scratch.

Hamish