[Interest] QML vs Electron

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:22:30 CEST 2018

I have never met anyone until then who read the qt page and had another
interpretation than the ones provided by Benjamin.

 > As a Free Software user you contribute or “pay”

it's not, "you should" or "you can" contribute / pay, it's "you
contribute". That's imperative.

 > That's just a misinterpretation. There's nothing factually wrong with
the statement.

That's easy to say when the statement is so vague. What does "limited to
GPL only" even mean ? But remember telling people a lot of time on
various forums / IRC channels that no, they could entirely develop
whatever code they wanted to with Qt Creator, and more than once they
did not believe me because of this sentence. That's money that goes
right to Microsoft and Jetbrains instead of having potential additional
future contributors for QtC.

 > You should choose the open source licence for open source code and
you should buy the commercial licence for closed-source.

There's a lot of semantic difference between "the Open Source license is
for people" (which implies that it isn't /for/ the other category of
people) and "You should choose the open source licence"

Best,
Jean-Michaël