[Interest] Qt3D Framegraphs

Andy asmaloney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:59:41 CEST 2018

I've been struggling with framegraphs for a very long time now and still
don't feel like I understand  their structure - what goes where or what
kind of nodes can be attached to what. I can throw a bunch of things
together, but when it doesn't work I have no idea how to track down what's
missing or what's in the wrong place.

Can anyone give an outline of what a framegraph would look like to
facilitate all of the following for a given scene:

1. rendering in a window onscreen
2. depth pass for shaders to use
3. render capture for taking "snapshots" of what the user is seeing onscreen
4. offscreen rendering of the current scene at a specified size (not the UI
window size)
5. render capture of the offscreen scene to an image

Using the forward renderer in Qt3DExtras, I can do (1) and (3), but I've
been supremely unsuccessful at implementing any of the rest despite many
many attempts - even working with the examples. (And the deferred renderer
examples - which might help? - don't work on macOS.)

I am using C++, not QML. I tried replacing my framegraph with a
QML-specified one but can't get that to work either (see previous post to
this list "[Qt3D] Mixing Quick3D and C++ nodes").

Can anyone please help? I'm stuck.

Thank you.

---
Andy Maloney  //  https://asmaloney.com