[Interest] Close DB connection when not actively using?

Israel Brewster ibrewster at flyravn.com
Wed Aug 22 00:42:31 CEST 2018

Ahh, thank you, that was most informative. So, basically, don't use QSqlTableModel/QSqlRelationalTableModel etc, and I should be fine. Would you say a good approach would be "writing my own" based on the lower-level QAbstractTableModel, and populating it with QSqlQueries? It seems that could address all the issues, as then I could open/close connections as needed, put in paging code (automatic or not), spin the queries off into separate threads, etc. It would also enable me to write SQL queries however worked best for the specific use, which I like. Hmmm....

As for "why wouldn't your database be open?", there could be any number of reasons. This is a SQLITE database we're talking about, so perhaps the user doesn't have read/write permission to the proper directory. Maybe the location is on some removable media that isn't mounted. Etc. If we were talking about a "real" database, the server could be down, or not accepting connections. Lots of possibilities, so it behoves me to check. This is a public app, so I can't assume *anything* about the environment.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with your statement about each and every I/O going through the open/start/perform/commit/close cycle. That's essentially what I was envisioning my subclasses as doing - wrapping the *actual* db calls in that cycle. Also, yes, I/O should ideally be threaded off as you say. In my particular app, I highly doubt that the usage patterns would lend themselves to being able to notice these delays, even on a slower system with a lot of records, but it's certainly something to look at for future improvement. It's also an argument in favor of writing a custom "Table Model" class - it would be relatively easy at that point to spin the actual data I/O off to other threads.

Thanks again for the information and pointers! Lots to think about :-)!
Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709