[Interest] QSettings keys

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 22 18:57:33 CEST 2018

On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 01:42:20 PDT Bertwim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with understanding QSettings.  I see that when the
> settings are written back to file (ini-file, Linux) certain characters
> such as <space>, ':' (colon), etc, written in their hexadecimal encoding
> (%20 for space, %3A for ':').
> When keys are read (from an ini file) these characters are read as
> expected, but writing them back gives this encoding.
> Why is this, and -more importantly- Is there any way to prevent this, at
> least have the normal printable ascii characters written back to file

Are you reporting that you don't get the same string back when you read from
the file? That would be a bug and we'd need to fix it

The escaping is used because those characters are special in the file format.
For example, the following two lines declare the same key and value:

foo=bar
 foo = bar

So, no, you cannot turn escaping off. You really want it.