[Interest] QSettings keys

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 14:40:59 CEST 2018

Le ven. 24 août 2018 à 19:00, Bertwim <bwvb at xs4all.nl> a écrit :

> On 08/22/2018 10:35 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 11:06:16 PDT Bertwim wrote:
> >> This is what I observe:
> >>
> >> For instance, if I enter the following, manually, in the ini file:
> > [ignored]
> >
> > What you type manually is not relevant.
> It *is* relevant. Because that is what is I type and that is what I see
> on the screen.
> If I see a ':' changing into a %3A then this confuses me. As the ':' is
> just a printable ascii character, I don't see any reason why it should
> be treated differently from the other characters, like a-z, 1-9 etc. It
> is just a normal printable symbol and in my view it just shouldn't
> change the representation.
> I don't understand why this is necessary and I would say this is a bug,
> even when on reading back, that is internally in the program, the
> correct interpretation is found.

I just wanted to make something clear.

The escaping or encoding of special characters is not related to ASCII
or Unicode.
Some characters are escaped (or encoded) because they have a special
meaning for the syntax used in the file.

For instance, you can find on Wikipedia that ':' can sometimes be used
as a '=' character.
So if it were not encoded you could end up with:

    var:foo=bar

which can be interpreted as either "var" = "foo=bar" or "var:foo" = "bar".

BR,

Benjamin