[Interest] Segmentation fault on exiting Qt event loop

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:25:43 CET 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 7:00 PM Ramakanth Kesireddy <rama.kesi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes we do have Qt running in worker thread(pthread)..Does it throws
> segmentation fault if we donot wait for the thread(like pthread::join) to
> exit event loop and destroy objects accordingly?

Segmentation faults are not thrown, they are not exceptions, albeit linux
allows you to catch the system signal. It means you've violated the memory
segment boundary, hence the name, on windows it's called "Access
violation". In any case it's one of the most generic messages for one of
the most common programming bugs - corrupt memory access. To answer your
question, it may, it may not, depends on many things one of which is
execution order, which isn't exactly deterministic when working with
multiple threads without ordering. It's a (serious) bug, so you should fix
it.