[Interest] [Qt3D][Android] Weird different performance on almost same class GPUs

Paul Lemire paul.lemire at kdab.com
Wed Dec 19 15:59:24 CET 2018

Hi Oleg,

Could you specify the screen resolutions of your phones as well please?
(I suspect they are lower than the tablet)

From what you are describing (moving further/nearer/multisampling) it
seems you are having fragment shader performance limitations.

You didn't specify what the benchmarks were doing, ideally you should be
looking at a fragment fill rate benchmark.

If that's the case, not much that can be done here apart from:

1) Simplifying your fragment shaders

2) Reducing potential overdraws (use depth testing, culling)

3) Generally speaking, trying to limit the amount of fragments

Since it seems you are using Scene3D, would you happen to have a
fullscreen QtQuick Rectangle underneath as a background? From past
experience,  this itself can actually put a bit of strain on the
fragment performance directly. (Using an Item + the window's clear color
might provide a work around).

Hopefully this can be of some help,

Paul