[Interest] Modern

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu Dec 20 14:26:20 CET 2018

It's still not modern.

Modern implies "something which learned from past mistakes to overcome
many of them." When something recent fails we simply call it "a new
approach" implying that it failed, generally beyond human comprehension.
Modern implies something succeed in overcoming many/most/all of the
pitfalls/travesties/tragedies which came before.

The latter does not apply to QML.

Newer isn't better, just newer.

Some "light" reading.

https://www.cbinsights.com/research/corporate-innovation-product-fails/

How many of you writing idiot phone apps know their used to be a
Facebook Phone? A Ubuntu Phone? There even used to be an Apple Newton.

Now that pretty much every industry analyst agrees the fad of idiot
phones are over and that 2019 will be the first year of negative growth
for the industry, scripted UIs will die off with them. Five years from
now people will think about QML as often as you currently think about
the Apple Newton.

More light reading:

http://www.interestingauthors.com/blog/thankyousirmayihaveanother/the-counter-culture-has-won/

Hopefully you all read far enough in the first link to read about
Amazon's colossal failure, The Fire Phone. Even I didn't know Microsoft
tried to market a "smart watch" in 2004. That thing must have only been
on the market a few minutes!

Be sure to scroll down to #35. Microsoft Kin One and Kin Two.
Discontinued after 6 weeks. No wonder I'd never heard about this
wanna-be Blackberry.

Oh, from your own link

/Although it was built in the 1600s, the building still has a very
*modern* look./

/
/

--