[Interest] QML vs Electron

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Thu Feb 15 05:35:53 CET 2018

> > Anyway, you can lament it, but that ship has sailed.
> > If you really want to know what I'm thinking, it would be to ditch JS entirely and use ChaiScript in QML.
>

> Thanks for the response, Jason.
>
> If I understand your salient point here, you're advocating the "traditional"
> approach of just maintaining device-specific, not-necessarily-related code
> bases that duplicate the same application functionality?  So, use the
> per-platform accepted coding frameworks -- C# for Android, ObjC for iOS, Qt
> for dekstops, etc. -- and just develop the required expertise in each area?

Not at all. Just the loftiness of Widgets everywhere is unlikely to ever be realized. Qt does a lot very well. I've heard lamenting that most people get QML wrong - that JS is not to be the application code, just the glue code. There certainly is appeal to that, C++ code is the most portable and most efficient, but in the end it is easier to just write JS instead of C++, though ChaiScript would bridge that gap. JS also bring in async issues and its own event loop.

Anyway, at the end of the day, Qt is a success, and the intricacies of dealing with the various platforms is made manageable. I just assume there is no back button on the device. Android users never complain.