[Interest] Tricky to download Qt online installer for 64-bit Linux

Henry Skoglund fromqt at tungware.se
Sat Jan 6 15:56:15 CET 2018

On 2018-01-06 04:36, Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> On 6 January 2018 at 13:25, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, 5 January 2018 19:27:40 -02 Henry Skoglund wrote:
>>> However, while on
>>> Windows and MacOs you only get one Download button, on Linux you'll get
>>> two, one for 64-bit and one for 32-bit.
>>>
>>> 2 buttons are fine, the problem is that whichever button I click on, I
>>> always get qt-unified-linux-x86-2.0.5-2-online.run downloaded, not the
>>> qt-unified-linux-x64-3.0.2-online.run
>>
>> Uh... why do we provide a 32-bit installer in the first place, if we don't
>> provide a 32-bit build of Qt?
>
> This one allows to install Qt/32bits on a 32bits PC, up to Qt-5.5.

Problem is that the 32-bit installer is no good for someone on a 64-bit
Linux (= most people nowadays), i.e. a newcomer to Qt will click on the
Download button for 64-bit, chmod +x the installer and then double-click
on it. And nothing will happen, no error dialog box or warnings.

Perhaps he will visit the Qt forums, where someone will advise him to
launch the installer from a Terminal window to see the actual error
message. And the message will most likely be "*not an executable file*"
since the i386 architecture usually isn't installed.

Hopefully he will spot the fine print on the bottom of
https://www.qt.io/download-qt-installer for the link to the offline
packages, where there's no 32-bit Linux installer, only 64-bit flavored.
And that file works.

But this road to getting Qt installed could be simpler, I think it's a
bug in the javascript.

Rgrds Henry