[Interest] QtQuick for mobile - any experience to share?

Sylvain Pointeau sylvain.pointeau at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 10:37:53 CEST 2018

On Wed, 30 May 2018 at 20:38, Sylvain Pointeau <sylvain.pointeau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have still not made any decision yet, I am doing some testing to get a
> better idea. Thanks a lot so far to all for your feedback.

I investigated into React Native, as I know Qt quick by reading a lot about
it and trying time to time through the years.

RN has 3 parts: the js, the native and the bridge.

the native is specific for a plateform, objective c for ios and java for
android
the js is with javascriptcore but without the jit on ios
the bridge is basically a serialisation, I read that this is the most
costly.

the js and the native are asynchrone so every call between them must be
returned by a callback or with a future

so if I need something in my app that requires something special, long
calculation, threads, queued database writes, it will probably require the
native and I will have to write it for each platform.

I have some pain to see how fast is the js, I also heard that Android is
much slower than ios. Did you observe that with Qt?

In Qt, do you know how costly is the bridge? how fast is V4 vs
javascriptcore? I understood that the native objects are only communicating
with the js via the signal/slot right. How would you compare it with RN?