[Interest] HDR 10/ HDR Dolby support?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue May 15 19:48:03 CEST 2018

On dinsdag 15 mei 2018 19:00:53 CEST Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> They only way I know of doing that at all at the moment is on Windows and
> only using fullscreen mode, and the monitor probably only supports it
> though HDMI. We are missing the proper standards for mixing HDR and SDR
> content, and for Linux, we lack the GLX, X11, Wayland and OpenGL standards,
> though in theory you can do it through EGL, but I haven't found support for
> it, so I haven't been able to tell how it would work and how we should use
> it.

Yes... That's one thing I was wondering about. I am getting a lot of push
towards creating an HDR image authoring application (like Krita), but not a
lot of details on how this would work and with which technologies.

> Btw, if you have HDR support in Krita, how do you handle the difference
> between relative SDR colors (0-1.0) and absolute HDR colors (0-12.0)? Do you
> have a color wheel that allows for the imaginary colors HDR uses (whiter
> than white, bluer than blue).

Well... Those float numbers don't really mean much. It's a matter of scaling,
and people in the VFX world I've been talking to author HDR images in Nuke or
Natron with any scale, and then tone-map to 0..1.0, which is still HDR,
because it represents a scale wider than SDR images.

For Krita, we've supported HDR image editing and painting since 2006.
Basically, the artist selects an exposure stop, edits at that point, and Krita
tonemaps the image at that point. Then they select another stop, and edit
again. Here's a nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7AF302wdrM

And another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSzKzXVWQE

Right now, we use OCIO for tonemapping and stuff like that, but I really want
to give artists the possibility to use HDR creatively and intuitively.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | https://www.krita.org