[Interest] QDatastream, QMap, QImage serialization

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue May 22 21:18:01 CEST 2018

On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 15:38:00 -03 Michael Jackson wrote:
> If it is a raster only then _why_ is it in QtGUI? There is no reason for it
> to depend on anything in GUI if there are no accelerated bits of code or
> any other codes (I'm sure I am wrong there) that depend on a windowing
> system?

Nothing in QtGui depends on the windowing system. Those bits live in the QPA
plugin or in a separate library loaded by that plugin. This is the third time
I've said so in this thread, including the email you replied to.

QtGui is the library that provides the foundation for all graphical and user-
interface functionality. It *integrates* with the windowing system of your
choice by way of a semi-private extension API known as QPA (Qt Platform
Abstraction). One of those windowing systems is the "offscreen" one, which
connects to no WS server: effectively, a command-line application.

> Bottom Line: I have a reasonable use-case where I need to "draw" into a
> "Canvas" from a command line app.

Use QtGui.