[Interest] proper (silent) exit in response to SIGHUP?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 09:48:01 CEST 2018

Hi,

How feasible would it be to implement a SIGHUP handler that triggers a proper, silent/non-interactive exit?

I presume the problem isn't very hard for applications running locally (though I might be overlooking something).
However, I mostly have the XCB QPA in mind here, and applications running remotely on an X11 server that becomes unresponsive or unavailable (network issue, or remote host suspended). Does the regular shutdown procedure under X11 contain calls that would block indefinitely and if so, is there a way to circumvent this procedure (calling exit() or _exit() after some custom save-what-you-can cleanup)?
I'd presume that similar interrogations can be made for other QPAs allowing remote displaying - the VNC QPA and possibly Wayland?

I'll experiment a bit with this myself but would appreciate a heads-up if I'm pursuing a lost cause here.

Thanks,
R.