[Interest] Qt Install Framework - Becoming a Microsoft Known Publisher

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:54:57 CEST 2018

Den tis 9 okt. 2018 17:29Nuno Santos <nunosantos at imaginando.pt> skrev:

> Christopher,
>
> In order to have Microsoft’s SmartScreen saying your company name, you
> need to buy a EV certificate:

Let me add that it's not strictly necessary to use an EV certificate to get
rid of SmartScreen. It's possible with a "regular" certificate as well, it
just takes some time for the cert signature to become whitelisted at
Microsoft (they track user installs).

We use a regular (cheaper) code signing cert from Digicert. For a while,
users running our installer would still get a SmartScreen warning, but as
the number of installs grew, at some point the warning disappeared due to
whitelisting.

An EV certificate would establish trust faster, and I think the rules
behind the whitelisting is rather undocumented.

HTH,
Elvis