[Interest] [Android] Qt machine unique id

coroberti . coroberti at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:47:12 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:53 PM Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 07:00:13 PDT Igor Mironchik wrote:
> > Maybe MAC address of the network interface is good enough for you?
>
> There are some RFCs and internet drafts that recommend creating random or
> pseudo-random MAC addresses, for privacy. In other words, the MAC address
> would change depending on which network you're connected to and often which
> day it is.
>
> I do that for my Linux system for WiFi. Windows 10 has this feature too, but I
> don't remember if it's enabled by default.
>
> https://www.ietf.org/blog/mac-privacy/
>
> --

MAC-randomization commonly means that per network (SSID) a MAC address
to be generated and used based on the machine's interface MAC (HW MAC) for
a certain connection and next changed not to be recognized by this network.

However, that doesn't mean that the implementation with overwrite the HW MAC
seen by commands and API. There's no need for that.

This links tells about one such linux distribution, but it seems that
there are no more such cases:
http://papers.mathyvanhoef.com/asiaccs2016.pdf

Are you familiar with any other cases?

There are cases when user with enough privileges can overwrite HW MAC,
and so Qt's way seems to be doing a great job by using other
parameters, not MACs.

Kind regards,
Robert Iakobashvili