[Interest] Qt 5.12 Official packages for MinGW 64 bit?

Kai Koehne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Wed Oct 17 14:28:39 CEST 2018

Indeed. Actually Chromium is using clang on all platforms.

> Will Qt
> official package provide clang version?

We've been discussing this already occasionally, but there's no immediate plan
to switch to clang. See https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-66664 for tracking
this for WebEngine. Anyhow, we've mkspecs for clang (win32-clang-g++ and
win32-clang-msvc), so if somebody feels adventurous he can already give it a go 😉
It's just that this is a configuration that we don't test internally, nor provide binaries
for.

One of the problems is that upstream Chromium is apparently not using a pristine
Clang compiler, but a custom one. Also, it's unclear how this would work with other
Qt modules - would we have to build all of Qt with clang on Windows then,
or would the compilers be compatible enough? The latter one was the hope,
but until today it seems it doesn't even work for different MSVC compilers ...

Also, note that using Clang up to today still uses MSVC linker and SDK, so you
need both a MSVC installation and clang. So it's not a full replacement of e.g. MinGW.

Regards

Kai