[Interest] QMAKE_COPY not used anymore for files in INSTALLS. Workaround?

Olivier B. perso.olivier.barthelemy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:46:59 CEST 2018

Here is another change i noticed when switching from 5.6.2 to 5.11.1

I used to tweak QMAKE_COPY and its cousins, to do extra stuff on the files
installed by INSTALLS variable.

Now, files in INSTALLS are installed using 'qmake -install qinstall',
stored in QINSTALL variable, written in the makefile directly from a
hardocded value in qmake sources.

It seems i am able to do something similar that i used to by
- adding my install targets in COPIES instead of INSTALLS,
- modifying mkspecs/features/file_copies.prf to use my custom copy command
instead of $(QINSTALL)

This has at least the additionnal limitation of forcing me to also split
install lists that used to contain files and folder into separate lists
because file_copies.prf does not like it for some reason, even though i
don't see it doing anything specific for files or folders. Also, i can not
add to COPIES, when TEMPLATE=subdirs, when i can do it for INSTALLS

Is there really not anymore a simple way of specifying a list of files and
folders to install, using a custom copy command, without modifying qmake
internals or reinventing the wheel?