[Interest] Linux openssl 1.1.0 versus 1.0.X

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sat Sep 15 23:10:03 CEST 2018

Il 15/09/2018 12:51, maitai ha scritto:
> Some of my users have started migrating to Ubuntu 18.04 and since it
> comes with openssl 1.1.0 the app cannot connect anymore. As I understand
> qt 5.11.1 prebuild binaries are built against openssl 1.0.X.
>
> Is there a simple way to deploy my application with openssl 1.0.X
> libraries so it will use that instead of the system library? I didn't
> succeed so far so any hint is welcomed.

IIRC Ubuntu 18.04 provides OpenSSL 1.0 in a separate package (not
installed by default). You can easily detect if you're running without
SSL support (QSslSocket::supportsSsl()), and in that case, prompt the
user to install the necessary packages.

(Cherry on top, if you do detect the software is running on Ubuntu, you
could just launch the right package manager, maybe even already
configured to try to install libssl1.0 ...)

My 2 c,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts