[Interest] Priority of bugs

Tomasz Olszak olszak.tomasz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:40:52 CEST 2018

Hi Krzysztof,

I would suggest to contact maintainer on IRC and ask if there is something
you can help with.

E.g I encountered QTBUG-70222, contacted Alex and in 20 minutes he guided
me how to provide data he needs to narrow down and fix the issue.

For some other bugs/features it was easier to just fix/impement them myself
instead of waiting for other people.

If you have reproducible crash in docked window I can imagine that it
should be easy to fix. Qt is well written and you don't need to be very
experienced to fix a bug here and there.

20 wrz 2018 20:04 "Krzysztof Kawa" <krzysiek.kawa at gmail.com> napisaƂ(a):

Christoph Feck wrote:
> in practice most bug fixing is spent to make the
> new features actually work. There is no point in adding features, if
> they are not useable because of bugs.

Funny you should say that. I actually wish this was true, but take a
look at the sad history of QTBUG-52108 for an example of how it really
is. A new feature came out in 5.6 in a state that made it unusable
from the start and it also broke some previous stuff on the way. With
new releases it deteriorated further and now there's an unusable
feature and no fixes for either the regressions or the new bugs. At
this point I don't expect it to ever get fixed as it's "just" P2. This
seems to be the norm for the last few releases - one step forward two
steps back.

> Also note that everyone has their own favorite bugs

Sure, but there are bugs and then there are bugs. I totally get that
some missing links in the doc (QTBUG-69484) are just tiny
inconvenience and not a big deal to overwhelming most, but something
like basic mouse events not working correctly (QTBUG-68221) or crashes
and memory leaks on something as fundamental as docking a window in a
window framework kinda is a big deal to me.

Anyway, I really don't want to stretch this rant. I'm just bummed
about the degrading quality of my favorite framework and I hoped I'm
not the only one that noticed. But maybe I am.