[Interest] Parsing data from serialport

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 21:01:52 CEST 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:37 PM <roland at logikalsolutions.com> wrote:

> Try testing them with a million+ row table.

Been there, done that. Be a lamb and stop with the nonsense. I'm sure you
run every file operation in a dedicated thread, 'cause you'd *"never ever
ever do I/O in the main GUI thread of a Qt application" ...*
Writing like a politician, with the all the generalizations without any
context, and context is everything, ain't impressing nobody here. You're
talking to devs, not to some old lady in the mall.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 5:14 PM Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:

> Yea, I'm going to have to agree with Denis over Roland.

Makes three of us then (and I'm sure many more silent ones if they cared to
comment on the silliness).

> In general it's not good to do synchronous operations (expecially I/O) in
> the main thread, but Qt I/O is mostly* asyc.

Yes, depending on the case, the volume of information and latency you're
after. For a console application I wouldn't care much about blocking the
event loop most of the time ...

> A lot of people don't realize that as soon as you ask for I/O your thread
> gets suspended by the kernel anyway.

Indeed. It used to be, on low-level side of things, that waiting/sleeping
was implemented like an empty IO operation (not sure if it's still the
case).