[Interest] How to properly show progress for a signal processing pipeline

Tony Rietwyk tony at rightsoft.com.au
Mon Apr 8 17:04:53 CEST 2019

Hi Sean,

I would just show one progress set to 3 * raw count.  Each stage
periodically signals to the ui thread its progress, and whether it has
processed the end-of-data signal from the previous stage.  In the ui
thread slot:

int totalCount, rawCount;

QVector<int> stageProgress;

void stageProgressSlot(int stageIndex, int count, bool completed) {

     Q_ASSERT(count <= rawCount);

     auto thisCount = (if completed ? rawCount : count);

     Q_ASSERT(thisCount >= stageProgress[stageIndex]);

     totalCount += thisCount - stageProgress[stageIndex];

     stageProgress[stageIndex] = thisCount;

     ui->progress->setValue(totalCount);

}

It will always appear to start slowly then jump forward depending on the
degree of filtering.  I can't see a way to avoid that other than Bill's
idea.

Hope that helps,  Tony