[Interest] Qt 6 Planning: Consideration of dropping support for UWP applications

Oliver Wolff Oliver.Wolff at qt.io
Thu Apr 18 14:46:59 CEST 2019

Hi,

as you might have heard, we are currently in Qt 6's planning phase and
thus checking things that have to be done to make Qt even better.
Of course we also want to use this opportuniy to drop support for
platforms that are no longer relevant in Qt's new environment.

One of these platforms is Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform which
is used on desktop PCs (for "Tiled" UWP applications, no classic desktop
applications), Windows Phone, Xbox one, Microsoft Hololens, and
Microsoft IoT devices. With Windows Phone no longer being relevant and
Microsoft's IoT strategy being unclear we now consider dropping support
for these platforms. Additional benefits and reasons can be found in
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-74755

To be able to make the right decision, we now want your input as well.
If you can give some input on why support should be kept or have
additional reasons for dropping support, please reply to this mail or
add your input to https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-74755 where we
want to gather all the needed information before making a decision.

As said before, nothing is set in stone. At the moment we are gathering
information so that we can make a well informed decision.
Olli