[Interest] QML preprocessing

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun Apr 28 16:00:44 CEST 2019

Alexander,

You have brought up yet another of the limitless reasons QML and
JavaScript shouldn't be used for any production system.

Pull down this zip file.

http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SerialKeypad.zip

(It's discussed in the "Raspberry Qt" post series on logikalblog.com)

Take the LogikalLogger class. It's a singleton. Add it to your
application. I typically "expose" it by creating a Backend class which
is then registered with QML and instantiated by main.cpp.

Forget the console.log() abomination ever existed. Always use
backEnd.logDebug() or logCrit(), etc. (Critical typically also includes
a call to the wrench screen to hide the screen before ending the
application. Critical means one cannot safely continue without adverse
outcome to human life.)

If you always use your logDebug() wrapper (or expose LogikalLogger
directly and pass the various syslog values) no Debug level messages
will ever be recorded or displayed when the application is not compiled
with debug. For some clients I have even modified versions of this to
include a set/get methods for "minimum log level" so it could be
controlled from the command line at startup. This allowed them to weed
out INFO and under messages but still keep warning on up.

Of course, the best solution is to never consider QML or JavaScript for
anything because they are unfit for production use.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions