[Interest] QRemoteObjectDynamicReplica: How get a slot return value?

Daesdemon daesdemon at free.fr
Thu Aug 8 21:03:22 CEST 2019

Hi Qt people,

I have been advised to post this kind of question on the maillist
instead of forum. If it is the wrong place, please, forgive me.

After digging in REPC generated code and RO sources, i found there is
some "kind of magic" in the REPC code:

     - The call of returning value slot in REPC generated object use the
protected |sendWithReply| function of QRemoteObjectReplica (async call,
returning a kind of future object: |QRemoteObjectPendingReply<T> with T
of the ReturnType of the slot)|

The problem is that the QRemoteObjectDynamicReplica have no public
constructor, so no way to use this function even by derivation.

The slot signature in the dynamic replica metaobject also has no functor
parameter to get the return value async. In fact the signature even
loose the ReturnValue Type.

So how could  we get a slot return value from a dynamic Replica ?

If there is no way (without re-coding a large part) to do this, I find
this lack of feature really troublesome in my case, where the main spec
is to have no use of REPC.

A subsidiary question could be : Why is the
|QRemoteObjectDynamicReplica(QRemoteObjectNode *node, const QString
&name)| constructor private ?

If public, it would allow to overload acquireDynamic in
QRemoteObjectNode and extend QRemoteObjectDynamicReplica by derivation,
for, in this case, expose internally the sendAndReply function.

However the lack of the return value type would still be a problem.

I understand principle of encapsulation but i am in dead-end there.

If someone had a clue, i'll take it gratefully.