[Interest] Troubles with debugging

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Mon Aug 19 20:37:16 CEST 2019

On Macintosh OS X 10.14.5, Qt 5.12.5, and Qt Creator 4.9.2 I keep getting a crash while stepping through code. I get a stack trace that looks something like this:

1   _os_unfair_lock_recursive_abort                                                                                                                                 (x86_64) /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib      0x7fff64dac1c2
2   _os_unfair_lock_lock_slow                                                                                                                                       (x86_64) /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib      0x7fff64da8caa
3   look_up_class                                                                                                                                                   (x86_64h) /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib                     0x7fff633e6774
4   QMacAutoReleasePool::QMacAutoReleasePool()                                                                                                                      qcore_mac_objc.mm                                 169  0x111cd1dc5
5   QMacAutoReleasePool::QMacAutoReleasePool()                                                                                                                      qcore_mac_objc.mm                                 140  0x111cd1ec5
6   QMacStyle::styleHint(QStyle::StyleHint, QStyleOption const *, QWidget const *, QStyleHintReturn *) const                                                        qmacstyle_mac.mm                                  2602 0x11c53c5e2
7   QProxyStyle::styleHint(QStyle::StyleHint, QStyleOption const *, QWidget const *, QStyleHintReturn *) const                                                      qproxystyle.cpp                                   290  0x10f7adea6
8   IgorProxyStyle::styleHint(QStyle::StyleHint, QStyleOption const *, QWidget const *, QStyleHintReturn *) const                                                   IgorProxyStyle.cpp                                250  0x1002c2191
9   QFocusFrame::setWidget(QWidget *)                                                                                                                               qfocusframe.cpp                                   187  0x10f830bba
10  QMacStyle::event(QEvent *)                                                                                                                                      qmacstyle_mac.mm                                  6517 0x11c55e379
<...... Lots of other stuff removed here .......>

Plain debug build, turned on the checkbox for loading the debug Qt frameworks. The styleHint and AutoReleasePool stuff seems to be a constant part of the problem.

That bit at line 2 about "slow" suggests that OS X got tired of waiting for my stepping through the code and decided to abort. This makes it really hard to debug certain parts of the code. Is this anything that y'all have seen? Is there a solution? Do I just have to use QDebug() statements liberally sprinkled about my code to debug?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

-John Weeks