[Interest] Building Qt from Git: Information on version of external libraries

Rainer Wiesenfarth rainer_wiesenfarth at trimble.com
Thu Aug 22 16:19:09 CEST 2019

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 4:07 PM Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> 22.08.2019, 17:01, "Rainer Wiesenfarth" <rainer_wiesenfarth at trimble.com>:
> > I am trying to build Qt (in my case: 5.12.4) from Git and came along the
> external ICU and OpenSSL libraries. Is there any page telling which version
> of the external libraries was used when building Qt?
>
> When building Qt from sources you should better use newest available
> version, e.g. 64.1 for ICU. It doesn't really matter what version is used
> in official binaries.

Hmm, yes and no. I fully agree that I should go as latest as possible, but
if - like with ICU by the introduction of a namespace - the API has
changed, the build will fail. I'd like to minimize those failing builds
upfront... :-)

So, I'd like to have a page telling me "was build using versions ..." to
have a safe fallback, and a base to judge if the latest version of an
external library might work or not.

Cheers, Rainer