[Interest] Qt free software policy

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Fri Aug 23 15:06:51 CEST 2019

1) Compilation method which removes 100% of QML, including QML support from non-QML classes.

> While my correct views of QML are widely known, the reality is that many embedded and IoT systems have no UI or correctly choose not to use QML because they are running on battery without a GPU. Unless these systems fall back to a pre-QML version of Qt, they cannot get rid of the buggy baggage.

If you design your software right nothing in Qml should be seen into your C++ except the module registration. Your C++ code expose to the meta object with properties and signal and that's about it.Qml use the meta exposition, you can still use the meta calls without Qml. This is one thing I really like about Qml, it doesn't invade the application code, it sit above it and you can use the javascript for view model adaptor/converter. I have give up on QWidget and looking at my code base now I would not go back, the automatic binding re evaluation is such a connect() call saver.