[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 95, Issue 35

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Fri Aug 30 12:34:20 CEST 2019

On 8/30/2019 5:00 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
> Replace "thread" with "process" and it correctly matches what Chrome does and
> what would work on Qt.
>
> You cannot start another QApplication in another thread in the same process.
> And that's also not what Chrome does.

Yeaaaah. I always have trouble calling anything a "process" in the
wanna-be CPU world. Actually it's more the wanna-be OS world. A thread
is a lightweight process. Linux (and most other x86 based operating
systems) only have lightweight processes. When you get into OpenVMS,
Z/OS, AS/400, TANDEM, etc. you get real processes and real threads. The
concept of something not having enough weight to be a thread on a real
platform being called a "process" and that is has even lighter things
people are trusting, in many cases with human life, always causes me issues.

At any rate, having all of the GUI _have_ to occur in the main event
loop (not to mention all of the bad examples showing database I/O,
serial comm and other things there which should not be there) has been a
real problem in the Qt world for years.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions