[Interest] Klocwork errors in Qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 4 21:52:02 CET 2019

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 04:56:00 PST Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> > As a professional developer, one should strive for keeping a codebase
> > under clazy, clang-tidy, and friends; and always be under -Werror.
>
> Really? (sarcasm)
> There's what you wish, and there's what you're asked (or allowed) to
> do. Another set of orthogonal concepts...
> We don't seem to live in the same world.

Completely understood. There are a lot of codebases and teams that don't use
all the tools available because of lack of time or expertise in setting them
up. Many don't even have a CI.

The other side of the argument is that those tools are free and open source.
Failing to use them in most scenarios is a *choice* (you can't run the Clang
tools in codebases that Clang doesn't compile, of course). Therefore, those
who could use them but choose not are responsible for the problems that the
tools could have caught.