[Interest] QtSerialBus on Android

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 10:14:32 CET 2019

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 20:00, André Hartmann <andre.hartmann at iseg-hv.de> wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> QtSerialBus had a QtSerialPort dependency up to 5.12, which was removed
> in 5.13.

Yes I saw that, but same apply to QtSerialPort, i don't see why it's
not available on Android. Android IS a Linux system, and it does have
the tty bits.

> So you can use QtSerialBus under Android now, at least the Modbus/TCP
> part. Modbus RTU is not available due to missing serial port, and from
> the CAN bus side you will most likely only be able to use the virtual bus.
>
> But maybe socketcan is available on Android too? I never checked that.

Android is "just" a Linux distro, so as long as you have your kernel
configured correctly, yes you can (and we do) use socketcan on
Android, and i'm pretty sure you can use the whole can-utils suite on
it.

But i want my (Qt based) code to run on Linux Desktop and Docker container too.
Being able to use QtSerialBus would be really nice, this would allow
me to get rid of some really old legacy code.

Anyway, we're stuck on 5.12, and we won't move to a non LTS Qt version.
So it looks like i'll have to dig myself to see if I can build
QtSerialPort/Bus for Android....

Thanks for the details,
Chris

PS: I'm not talking Mobile app dev here, i'm talking writing system
tool for a custom AOSP system.