[Interest] Klocwork errors in Qt

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 17:28:07 CET 2019

Den mån 16 dec. 2019 15:16Stefan Neubert <stefan-neubert at gmx.net> skrev:

> [...]
> >     >>> If you think auto won't be removed as a failed experiment, how
> >     about
> >     >> "new"? Deprecated in C++20 and slated for removal in C++23.
> >     >>>   https://www.modernescpp.com/index.php/no-new-new
> >     >>> Some more reading on the removal of pointers
> >     >>>
> >     >>>

> https://www.fluentcpp.com/2018/04/01/cpp-will-no-longer-have-pointers/
> >     >> TL;DR: This was a 2018 April Fool's joke.
> >     >>
> >     > Ouch. That must hurt.
> >
> >     Gosh no. I'm more stunned that only one person got it. That was an
> >     incredibly well written post. Everyone should read it. Too many QML
> >     users I guess.
> >

> > By pure chance I happen to occasionally read that blog
> > (  https://www.fluentcpp.com/
> > <
> https://www.fluentcpp.com/2018/04/01/cpp-will-no-longer-have-pointers/>;;).
>
> > Even by picking only two random articles anybody could see that the
> > ideas it promotes
> > are at the total opposite of yours.
> >
> > Let me speculate on how it went: you googled some random keywords,
> > clicked on
> > one of the top links pointing to a blog you've never heard of,
> > overlooked the title and
> > wrongly concluded that this just confirms you're right without
> > noticing it was an April's
> > fool.
> >
> > Now, trying to turn the whole thing in your favor is something not
> > even a fool would try.
> > But apparently you are willing to give it a go. Unsurprisingly, I'd say.
> >
> > Yawn.
> >
> You make the assumption that it wasn't deliberate. Not a safe assumption.
>

> > Yeah, I make that assumption and I'm fairly comfortable in taking the
> associated (nanoscopic)
> > risk.
>

> > The day you want to start talking about your own assumptions with
> respect the competency
> > level of anybody else than you on this mailing list, let us know.
>

> > Other than that, I do hope the mailing list has an archive somewhere. On
> the off chance any
> > newcomer gets impressd by your 200 lines, totally offtopic and rambling
> replies advocatng
>
> > some crazy security policy or whatever.
>
> First, @Massimiliano, the list archiv ist at
> https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/
>
> Second, I want to thank all of you in the Qt community, for beeing open,
> friendly and competent.
> This is the reason I take part in this mail list.
>
> Now concerning the content, it is a pity, but every project has it´s
> Roland. Just remeber the discussion on QML.
> After the first Mails about the Klocwork error, I was wondering, when
> Roland would drip in.
>
> To share my strategy: When I feel that the goal of an email is to get
> attention and the author is known to
> attach more importance to showmanship than to make a contribution, my

Well said. I think most of us on this list have a pretty well-developed
Roland filter at this point. It's sad that we have to, but unfortunately
one can't simply kick someone out for being obnoxious.

I agree with you. Whenever Roland comes around, press "Already read" and go
do something productive instead, because engaging with that troll is
anything but.

Elvis