[Interest] Qt Mac OS - App crashes when opening camera - Namespace TCC, Code 0x0

Nuno Santos nunosantos at imaginando.pt
Tue Dec 17 11:53:53 CET 2019

Hi,

I’m developing an application that uses camera. I’m having a crash when the app is not opened by Qt Creator:

Crashed Thread:        2  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace TCC, Code 0x0

Thread 2 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x00007fff6375ebea __abort_with_payload + 10
1   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x00007fff637604f3 abort_with_payload_wrapper_internal + 80
2   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x00007fff63760525 abort_with_payload + 9
3   com.apple.TCC                 	0x00007fff5b8b95a7 __CRASHING_DUE_TO_PRIVACY_VIOLATION__ + 163

After googling around I’ve found a lot of people with the same problem but no solutions.

Instead of crashing, it should be popping a authorisation request, which I have already given in the past for the same application. The workaround I’ve found was to go to Security & Privacy and disallow/allow the app for camera access.

I want to avoid this experience to the end user. A regular user will see this as an app crash and will not have developer skills to track down the problem by itself.

Has anyone stumbled on a similar problem before?

How do we force the system to check for authorisation and request it again if necessary, avoiding the crash?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Nuno