[Interest] qmediaplayer on raspberry stretch (and modified stretch)

maitai maitai at virtual-winds.org
Sun Feb 3 19:50:14 CET 2019

Hello,

I have an application running on Raspberry/Stretch supposed to play some
wav files. On RPI basically for sound you can choose between HDMI or
Jack output. Stretch by default does not come with pulseAudio, so it is
only Alsa.

Actually there is no problem with a "pure" Stretch installation, and
QMediaPlayer plays the sound where it should, according to the system
setting HDMI or Jack. If you set QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 you can see an error
concerning pulseAudio (which is normal since not installed), but it
plays the sound nonetheless.

Unfortunately some users do not run a pure Stretch, but a special
distrib (openPlotter) based on Stretch (again without pulseAudio). And
when running there, the sound is always directed to HDMI, and never to
the jack. All other applications (not qt-based) play the sounds on the
Jack, but qt for some reason always plays it on hdmi. All messages from
QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS are exactly the same, as well as the list of sound
devices, default, etc.

I have tried many things (including installing pulseAudio), with no
luck.

Any clue where to search?

Thanks
Philippe.