[Interest] vs. Flutter

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue Feb 19 22:22:47 CET 2019

I probably would have gone with Python, and avoid pointers, as many languages to their best to obfuscate them. But your C was not a bad decision. It is lingua franca. :-)

Just remind them that JS was invented in 10 days back in 1992, and standardized by a committee that had no business standardizing it. That said, with everything targeting JS, it's not a bad decision either.

I'm relatively [adjective] about the new C++ versions. On one hand C++ looks strange. The code to map/filter/transform looks nothing like I'd expect (transform):
Actual:
std::vector<int> x = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5};
std::vector<int> y;
std::transform(x.begin(), x.end(), std::back_inserter(y), [](int elem){ return elem * elem; });
Expected:
auto y = std::transform(std::vector<int> {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, [int elem] { return elem*elem });

But the new initializer syntax is a joy.

SFINAE, etc. It creates pretty unreadable code. It takes me several minutes to parse a line of modern C++, which violates several software development principles in that it should be easy to understand, optimized for reading, OTHER Developers, DRY, DR's 10 times harder statement. I've learned that to grok C++, you must first realize that you're not writing a program that does something, instead you're telling the compiler how to build the program. "Doing what you want" is just a "side effect".

I don't know how long C++ can exist with that mentality. The compiler should figure out what I mean. Const should be automatically applied where it can based on code paths. It's something I do, it's easy to determine, and having it auto applied would be just fine. Or maybe have a linter tell you/upgrade it to const.

Qt is attractive because I "code less and create more". I rely on Qt to translate the C++ committee's/stdlib output into something usable by developers, not language nerds. (Reminder there's more languages than C++, I've got to learn Dart now, apparently)

But the new initializer syntax is a joy, at least.