[Interest] Fwd: vs. Flutter

Bernhard B schluchti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:48:12 CET 2019

definitely a +1 from my side.

I totally get that there are limited resources and therefore management has
to focus on some parts, but if I just look at the Qt mobile functionality
(and blend away everything else), I have to agree with Jason. Fortunately I
am in a position where I do not "depend" on Qt in any way - I am just a
hobby developer that likes to tinker around. So, if it turns out that the
mobile development halts, I'll probably migrate my apps away from Qt at
some point and/or use a different framework for new projects. But I guess
that's a bit more difficult for developers that earn a living with their Qt
apps - porting away from Qt then will be a huge pain (and most often not
worth it from a business point of view, unless it gets unbearable).

The main reason, why I am still with Qt on mobile is, that I know most of
Qt's quirks and that I really LOVE QML. Another huge plus is, that I've
grown a pretty solid set of
device dependend helper tools/functionalities over the years. Namely:

- Notifications (GCM)
- Hardware buttons
- Vibration
- Sensors (Accelerometer)
- Screen Control (keep screen on)
- Keystore/Keychain integration to store credentials
- Access to media gallery on android (I have to check, but I _think_ that
functionality is now part of Qt 5.13; at least according to
https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.13)

If I wouldn't have those ready at my fingertips, I am not really sure
whether I would choose Qt again...
I also found it pretty hard (I would almost say impossible) to convince my
friends to give Qt a shot. No matter how good Qt's declarative language is,
there are certain functionalities that every mobile app developer expects
from a framework and unfortunately, Qt's missing quite a few of them :/

Cheers,
Bernhard