[Interest] [SPAM] Is it safe to call qRegisterMetaType() before main()?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 16:27:27 CEST 2019

On 23/07/2019 04:53, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 22 July 2019 16:15:05 PDT Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> On 22/7/19 10:56 pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> In order to avoid calling qRegisterMetaType() in main() (with the
>>> possibility of forgetting to do so,) I instead call it before the
>>> program enters main(), in the implementation file of whoever is the
>>> owner of the type. [...]
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> It "seems to work fine," but is this safe though?
>
> Actually, yes, so long as you're not using static builds. The metatype system
> depends on only the base containers (QVector, QByteArray), so this should
> work.
>
> Still, it's ugly. For classes, I recommend putting the registration in the
> constructor. An enum is a different story.

Ugh. Having the call happen on every object creation sounds even uglier.
It seems it's best to roll our own. Probably a lazily initialized global
static object that you can add functors to before main() and then run
all functors of that object in main().

(Off-topic)
It seems the mailing list marks my posts as spam now. Probably because
I'm using gmane? I'm sending this one without gmane, let's see if it
makes it through unscathed.