[Interest] Is it safe to call qRegisterMetaType() before main()?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 02:35:03 CEST 2019

On 25/07/2019 06:20, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 09:05:02 PDT Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>>
>>> Use qMetaTypeId<Type>(). That will include an inline check (runtime, sure)
>>> whether it's already been registered.
>>
>> That is a good solution for instantiable types, but for enums (my actual
>> use case) you can't do that.
>
> Why not? Did you forget the Q_DECLARE_METATYPE?

I didn't (although I use Q_ENUM, but it does the same job.) But there's
no constructor to put qRegisterMetaType() in. It's an enum. There's no
constructor. Some enums are in a namespace, some are in a class, but
even with an enum that is in a class, users of can just use the enum in
their own signals/slots prior to instantiating the class that declares
the enum. It will stay unregistered until the first instance of the
class is created.