[Interest] Translating JSON files

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Tue Jun 18 09:49:25 CEST 2019

I don't think so - I mean, it would be easier to translate if it was split up, but it would make everything else harder.

            {
                "componentData": [
                    {
                        "passability": "Impassable",
                        "type": "SceneItemComponentType"
                    },
                    {
                        "displayName": "Chest",
                        "levelActivationTriggers": "NoLevelActivationTrigger",
                        "type": "InteractiveComponentType"
                    },
                    {
                        "type": "InventoryComponentType"
                    },
                    {
                        "type": "IdComponentType"
                    }
                ],
                "name": "Chest"
            },

I like this design.

> A simple solution is to *not* have the translations in the .json files, but only
> US-ASCII English versions. Then you extract those strings into a proper .ts or
> .pot file, translate them using your preferred tool, and *keep* the
> translations there. At runtime, you translate using:
>
>   // .toUtf8() would be strictly speaking more correct, but if you restrict
>   // to US-ASCII, you gain a bit in performance
>   tr(stringFromJson.toLatin1());
>
> > I do like the idea of generating .ts files from JSON...
>
> You can play with the examples/corelib/serialization/convert tool and an XSL-
> T stylesheet. Or write your own extract tool, of course.
>
> Or you may want to generate a dummy .cpp file with your extracted strings
> so you can pass it to lupdate or msgfmt, so it handles fuzzying and merging of
> new strings into an already-translated file.

These are all great ideas, and that last part especially - sounds like something I would want to have.

Thanks!