[Interest] using a custom class as parameter of signal/slot, used in QML

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Fri Mar 1 17:25:27 CET 2019

Since signal are not sync all the time but can be async, the argument need to be copiable to allow this. So you need to be able to copy the arguments on the signals. Therefore the QObject is not copiable, they cannot be passed as arguments directly, you need a pointer. The ownership and lifetime of that object is up to you, but you need it to live until all handler have finish processing the signal (this can be longer then the signal emit for queued connection).

If you can easily copy the structure you probably can serialize/deserialize it or put it into a QVariant, QVariantList or QVariantMap. That would be copiable.