[Interest] [#ID:INC-1251018#] Installation issue.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Mar 12 04:59:20 CET 2019

On Monday, 11 March 2019 18:23:37 PDT Giuseppe D'Angelo via Interest wrote:
> Il 12/03/19 02:11, Allan Sandfeld Jensen ha scritto:
> >> The problem is not the GCC version. It's the set of libraries provided by
> >> the old distribution.
> >
> > And I guess he could still build his own packages. The libraries would
> > just
> > use bundled qt copies if too old. Only the prebuilt packages have higher
> > requirements, right?
>
> No; e.g. xkbcommon is no longer shipped with Qt and the one in RHEL6.6
> is too old (the solution is building your own, I guess).

And as others have found out, that is getting very difficult. The current Git
version of xkbcommon can only be built with Meson and you can't install Meson
on RHEL 6.6 (its Python3 is too old).

You can build the current xkbcommon release. And past releases that are
greater than the minimum that Qt requires, of course.

But the point remains: at some point, it becomes difficult to actually build
those dependencies because the distribution is old. Also note Qt 6 will not
ship bundled libraries. There will be a way to install them from sources, but
then we go back to the problem of actually building them.