[Interest] QTabWidget scroll buttons

Murphy, Sean smurphy at walbro.com
Tue Mar 26 15:53:02 CET 2019

> > A request has come in to allow the user to right-click on the scroll buttons,
> which would then open a popup menu of all open tab names which they can
> select from, and then I could just set the selected tab as the currentIndex().
> But I don't see anything on https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtabwidget.html that talks
> about those scroll buttons beyond just the usesScrollButtons property. So
> I'm not sure how to specifically trigger off from a right click on the scroll
> arrows themselves...
> >

> What will that pop-up menu look like if there are 100 tabs open.

I 100% agree with where you're headed with that question. I don't like this
idea for a multitude of reasons:
- the tabs tend to have long filenames, so not the sort of thing that fits nicely in
  a popup, even if there aren't many of them
- the quantity issue you brought up
- I don't think many people would expect that you could right-click on one of
  those buttons to bring up a contextual menu from a UI design perspective

That being said, right now the request is the request so even though I've raised
my objections to it, I'm still tasked with fulfilling it at this point...

Sean

This message has been scanned for malware by Forcepoint. www.forcepoint.com