[Interest] My first 5 years with Qt and 2 suggestions

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Fri May 10 17:21:23 CEST 2019

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 4:07 PM Shawn Rutledge <Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io> wrote:

> So “stable” just means old in practice, and thus uninteresting for
> developers.

Old AND stable. There are specific criteria the debian project uses to mark
a package as stable. Old may not mean stable, but usually stable means old
(although not always).

> “Guix follows a so-called 'rolling release' model, so you can run guix
> pull at any time to get the latest and greatest bits of free software.”

Debian does that with the testing flavour. If you want the latest and
greatest without making much of a compromise on the stability that's the
one. (This is what I use, there are also "unstable" and "experimental"). An
argument for both approaches can be made either way, but the fact of the
matter is that the testing flavor gets Qt (re)packaged pretty quickly after
its release.

> But Qt 5.11.3 … ugh.  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/Q/  One
> would think if their goal is a rolling release that they probably have
> tried to automate building newer stuff and trying to upgrade continuously.

That's also the version I have on the debian testing I run. It may be that
5.12 is considered to buggy to (re)package from experimental to unstable to
testing, but there may be other (significant) contributing factors. Here's
what I get from the repository (some architectures and versions cut):

stretch (stable) (libs): Qt 5 core module
5.7.1+dfsg-3+deb9u1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel
ppc64el s390x
buster (testing) (libs): Qt 5 core module
5.11.3+dfsg1-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel ppc64el
s390x
sid (unstable) (libs): Qt 5 core module
5.11.3+dfsg1-1: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386
kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mips64el mipsel powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el riscv64
s390x sh4 sparc64 x32
experimental (libs): Qt 5 core module
5.12.3+dfsg-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386 kfreebsd-i386
m68k mips mips64el mipsel powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el s390x sh4 sparc64 x32